Nick Drake: Remembered for a While' Edited and Compiled by Gabrielle Drake & Cally Callomon
Signed 1st Edition
Hand Signed by Gabrielle Drake to the Title Page
New & Unread - Published 2014
'Probably the most ambitious, generous and thorough volume about a musician to see publication' Mouth Magazine
The authorised companion to the music of Nick Drake, compiled, composed and edited by Cally Callomon and Gabrielle Drake, with contributions from Nick's friends, critics, adherents, family, and from Nick Drake himself. Remembered For A While is not a biography. It is, rather, an attempt to cast a few shards of light on Nick Drake the poet, the musician, the singer, the friend, son and brother, who was also more than all of these. We hope it will accompany all those in search of an elusive artist, whose haunting presence defies analysis.
The book contains:
- In-depth interviews with many of Nick's friends, most notably Paul Wheeler, Nick's close friend from Cambridge days, a singer-songwriter who, of all Nick's friends, perhaps best understood, from personal experience, Nick's journey through musical creation to despair and back again.
- A selection of photos from all eras - some never seen before - with reproductions of documents such as the scrapbook Molly Drake kept of her son's press cuttings, and the original and rejected album covers.
- Images of Nick's handwritten and typed lyrics, including the lyrics of some songs for which the music has never been found.
- Newly commissioned pieces by Nick's friends Jeremy Harmer, Brian Wells, Robin Frederick and the poet Will Stone. Contributions also from the sleeve designer Michael Trevithick, Island Records's Ann Sullivan and the photographer and artist Nigel Waymouth.
- Extracts from Nick's letters - part of an extensive correspondence that exists between Nick and his parents, which charts their relationship from the time he first went to boarding school until the time he came home, when his depression had settled upon him and he felt he had nowhere else to go. From this point, Nick's life was documented by his father, Rodney Drake, who kept a detailed diary, as he and his wife Molly struggled to understand their son's state of mind and how to help him. Passages from this poignant record are included.
- A short musical guide to each song's key and tuning to accompany the lyrics, together with an explanatory interpretation of Nick's guitar performance, the result of several years close study by singer-songwriter Chris Healey.
- A comprehensive guide to all of Nick's live performances.
- And a lengthy essay by noted music critic Pete Paphides, which includes interviews with Nick's musical collaborators and friends - his producer Joe Boyd, his recording engineer John Wood and his orchestrator, the late Robert Kirby - as well as descriptions of the recording process of each album.
All our signed books include a 'Signed Copy' gift tag, supplied free of charge.
Please Note: By their very nature, all signed books will have been handled several times before they get to you. This may result in small marks to the dustjacket and title page, please also bear in mind that each signature will be a little different from the one we show here.
We'll despatch your order as quickly as we can. If a product is out of stock we will contact you to discuss the likely delivery time or an alternative product.
Orders for delivery in the UK are despatched by Courier and will normally be delivered to you within a few days of placing your order (UK deliveries by Courier normally arrive the day after we despatch). Signed Books are shipped in specially made book mailing cartons, with the books themselves wrapped in paper and bubble wrap to protect them. Because we use courier and signed for delivery services, please use an address at which your parcel can be signed for during the normal working day.
First Item @ £3.75 (sometimes a shipping supplement may be added for particularly heavy books or specific postcodes*)
2 Items & Over @ £5.00 in total
*There are a number of Postcodes in the UK for which we will need to charge a shipping supplement, this will be calculated automatically during the checkout process. There are also a very small number of Postcode areas not covered by our delivery service, for these we will contact customers to agree a suitable and economic method of shipping. There may also be additional time required for delivery to some areas of the United Kingdom. View a complete table of Postcode Surcharges. Where possible, we will ship single book orders (under 1kg) by Royal Mail to all UK postcodes and a refund shipping accordingly back to the £3.75 rate shown above. Multiple book orders and books over 1kg are shipped via APC Overnight, regardless of Postcode.
Shipments to other EU countries:
First Book @ £15.00 (sometimes a shipping supplement will be added for particularly heavy books)
2 Books & over @ £30.00 in total
Shipments to the USA & Canada:
First Book @ £30.00
2 Books & over @ £50.00 in total
Shipments to the Rest of the World:
First Book @ £45.00
2 Books & over @ £60.00 in total
All overseas orders are shipped using a 'signed for' courier service - please provide an address at which your parcel can be signed for on receipt. We use the same packaging materials for our overseas deliveries as we do those in the UK.
It was the most impressive packaging that I have EVER SEEN!!! An ocd person's dream...